Update

Life has been hectic since school ended! Here is what I’ve been up to!

I was doing a condensed seven week independent study. The study itself was based on my dreams. I recorded my dreams for several weeks leading up to the study, and I chose one to base my work off of. In the dream, I gave birth to several large spider robots, that were about the size of a small dog. I threw them into a large aquarium of water, and as they sunk they transformed into these soulless babies who’s eyes flashed red. 

I ultimately started out wanting to make one piece, but ended up planning a line of three, and would only make one for my study.

 
My Mood board for my line is pretty sparse. Since most of my inspiration was internal, it seemed silly to put all of these pictures for inspiration that didn’t make sense for my concept. The right most design has been scrapped altogether, and the middle is the piece I made for my class.

I planned to weave my silk to make the dress, and below shows the silk I wove….. and the weave was too lose so I couldn’t cut into it. I plan on making the leftmost dress above by wrapping the fabric around the model and leaving the meterage intact. The right most dress will be made entirely of wire, AND the dress I made was out of translucent silk, with large wire spider accessories to wrap around the body (the top thing is a small model of one of these).

All in all, This project turned out okay. A LOT of the things went wrong. the spiders aren’t as sturdy as i’d have liked, so i plan to reinforce the legs with thicker grade wire and spray paint them. The dress itself wasn’t to my prof’s liking in terms of craftsmenship, which I was frustrated with because I feel I am not experienced enough working with difficult fabrics to make what I want yet, and I don’t always know the best way to make something I suppose.

I haven’t posted photos of the dress because I plan on putting them into the wearable art show this winter and don’t want to ruin the surprise.

 I have been taking photos of flowers lately, I find they give me interesting ideas for color combinations I never would have thought of on my own. These are some from my walk home from work!

AND my last but not least summer project is a comission piece for two women in the city i live in, to make two of the three Sampson sister’s costumes for them from the movie hocus pocus. The two on the far left and right are the ones I am making. I found close ups of the dresses themselves.

I have two weeks of vacation coming up and I’ll be visiting my family in PEI, 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s